JAMBALLAH NW '18: PERFORMER INFORMATION
Thanks so much for being a part of this celebration of our beautiful community! I'm so honored to have you!
Smith Memorial Student Union Ballroom, at Portland State University
1825 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205
ORGANIZER CONTACT INFO:
Elise Morris 503-848-0445 firstname.lastname@example.org
MUSIC AND CLASS REGISTRATIONS DUE BY MIDNIGHT ON JULY 10, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Your music track MUST BE submitted as a single track with your group's name as the beginning of the song name.
- AIFF or WAV format preferred, Mp3 if not. Email music file to email@example.com (If the file is too big to email, use Google Drive, WeTransfer, or Dropbox).
Performance Lengths: 5 minutes maximum (Instructors, 6m max)
- Multiple pieces/group configurations? Great! But the whole set has to fall within your 5m allotment, including transition time.
- Live music? Awesome! Setup/teardown must fall within your 5m allotment. Live musicians must supply their own amps and microphones.
- Tech Rehearsal? Unfortunately we are not able to offer tech rehearsals.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR PERFORMERS:
- There will be ample dressing room space available, but not ample mirrors.
- We will have lovely washes of stage lighting but at this time cannot guarantee any special lighting requests. There will be an opportunity to let us know the 'mood' of your piece when you fill out your Stage Notes form.
- We are not able to offer plus-ones. Tell your folks to get on the mailing list for promo codes to the shows!
- Professional quality photography of ALL performances will be offered by Casey Campbell Photography and Phoebus-Foto. Images are subsidized by the festival and offered free-use for all performers for promo/portfolio, though HD images for print will have to be negotiated separately through individual photographers.
- Video: TBA. We will have professional video services for a nominal fee.
- Performers are welcome to watch the shows from any unsold seats that may be available FOR THE SHOW YOU ARE IN. All attendees are also welcome to attend the afternoon shows for free, on days that you attend classes.
- Music and themes used in performance at these all-ages shows must be family-friendly (See 'rules and regulations' for clarification)
- Stage: 25’ wide x 16’ deep.
- Small wings on either side. Enter Stage LEFT.
- Lights reach the entire stage.
- Floor is hard vinyl tile.
- We will have a backdrop, but no other stage dressings.
- Capacity: 250 seats
*All shows start ON TIME so please be checked in and ready to rock 30m before your show is set to start. If you are coming from a class, arrive as soon as you can.
*All Shows: Check in with the Stage Manager upon arrival, who will be backstage. If you need help finding backstage, ask at the Info Booth.
*If you are coming from a class, (as marked on your application) you will be put in the second half of the show if at all possible. It's a good idea to plan to go to class in stage makeup, and you will need to change onsite (the shows are just downstairs from the classrooms).
FRIDAY Aug 10 CALLTIME 7p SHOW 7:30-10p
JamBallah Showcase Night I: (not listed in show order)
MC: The Mad Marquis
- Bevin Victoria
- Bonny & Niira
- Elena Villa
- Rin Ajna
- Tessera Tribal®
- Katie Sahar
- Shaunti Fera
- Sedona Soulfire Student Group
- Nebula Dance Company
- Celandine Danse
- Danse Carouselle
- Damiana Dance Company
- Kamille Hitz of RockaBelly
- Allegro Dance Company
FRIDAY Aug 10 CALLTIME 2p SHOW 2:30-4p
JamBallah Festival Show Part 1: (not listed in show order)
- Snake Charmer & The Belly Dancer
- The ModRom Dance Collective
- Catherine Bird
- Liz Stortstrom
- Nar Raqs
- Taj Jamil
- Jewel Box Bellydance
SATURDAY Aug 11 CALLTIME 7:30p SHOW 8-10:30p
JamBallah Showcase Night II: (not listed in show order)
- Amel Tafsout
- Deep Roots Dance
- Florence Leclerc
- Sharon Kihara
- Emily Alrick
- Eshta Divas
- Ella Moore
- Sabrina Toro
- Tribal Heart BellyDance (fka G*psyHeart Tribal)
- G*psy Fire Bellydance
- Laura Blake, Carla Coelho, and Talia Vintzileos
- The Bijou Project
- Amira Jade
- Cassandra Rose
- Pynksy Shell
SATURDAY Aug 11 CALLTIME 12p, SHOW 12:30-2p
Festival Show Part 2: (not listed in show order)
- Benu Rising
- Kali Lila
- Emilie Lauren & Students
- Annwyn Avalon
- Lacey NhicDoom
- Carly Sunrise
- Jamie Lynn
SUNDAY Aug 12
Festival Show Part 3:
CALLTIME 3p SHOW 3:30-5:30p
MC: Karissa Lowe
- Desert Lilies
- Ashley Throw
- Danni St Athens
- Bewitching Beauties
- Morgan Fay
- Culture Shakti
- Nicole Maria
- 9 Ladies Dance Theatre
- Sophia Ravenna
- Kate Soleil
- Marisa Copley
- Nar Raqs
- Sarah Robinson
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Please read the Rules and Due Dates below- failure to follow directions may result in loss of your spot.
1. Music is due NO LATER THAN midnight July 10, 2018, in a single track with your group's name as the start of the song name.
- AIFF format preferred, then WAV, then MP3. (MP3 files produce much lower-quality sound on a pro board)
- Email music file or download link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Failure to submit music by the due date will result in a loss of your performance spot.
- If two performers choose the same music, the one who got it in first will get first priority.
- If your file is too big to email, I like Google Drive, DropBox and WeTransfer for sending downloadable links.
2. Support the fest! All non-instructor participants must be registered for a minimum of three hours of classes.
- so either two 2-hour ALL classes, OR one 3-hr INT/ADV class.
- EXCEPTION: If you are performing with an instructor in their Instructor Spot, you are exempt from class registration requirements for that spot.
- 'Troupe Total': Groups of three or more must sign up for the equivalent of one 2hr class per person to hit their 'troupe total', but each person is not required to be registered individually. Example: There are 5 people in my troupe. We will need to have at least 10 class hours between all of us to meet the troupe total to retain our spot, but each person don't need to be signed up for something individually.
- Scholarship recipients may use their scholarship classes to meet performance requirements.
- REGISTRATION DEADLINE: July 10
- Musicians who join the show to provide live music for performers are exempt from class registration requirements.
3. Performers are allowed a MAXIMUM of one dance spot with 4 or fewer members onstage (solos/duets/trios/quads).
- No limit for performing in Large Troupes (5+ members onstage) Examples: I'm performing with two Large Troupes (5+ members onstage)- OK. I'm performing with my trio and also want to do a solo- (SORRY, NOT OK). I'm performing with my duet and also with a Large Troupe (5+ members onstage)- OK.
4. Performers will be required to meet the minimum class purchase for each spot separately, if accepted for multiple spots.
- Example: I am performing in a Large Troupe (5+ members onstage), and also as a soloist. To retain both spots I will need to sign up for one 2-hr class for the troupe, and also one 3-hr OR two 2-hr classes for the solo.
5. Multiple pieces in one spot: Including a solo and then a group piece in one spot is fine- it's considered part of your troupe piece, so it's A-OK if you're a member of an accepted troupe (not a guest who didn't apply). The entire set must fall within your 5m allotment, including transition time.
6. Live music? Awesome!
- Setup/teardown must fall within your 5m allotment.
- Live musicians must supply their own amps and microphones.
7. Specific show assignments are at the discretion of the producer.
8. Please adhere to calltime, 30m prior to start of show. You are expected to be ready to perform at any time during your show, if an emergency lineup-shift occurs. (We'll *try* not to, but s^$# happens.)
9. NO REAL FLAMES OR SMOKE OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING INCENSE/DRY ICE/TEALIGHTS) IS ALLOWED AT THIS VENUE
10. NO Loose glitter or body glitter. It gets in the lights. We will have fixing-spray onsite for face glitter.
11. NO liquid cleanup of any kind. We are not able to accommodate any kind of spilled liquid onstage.
12. Music and themes used in performance at these all-ages shows must be 'family friendly'; i.e. mostly free of expletives and entirely free of reference to violent or illegal activities, explicit sex, racial or any type of slur, any of the 'isms' or 'phobias', (racism, sexism, transphobia, etc) and any other extremely disturbing or controversial material.
- Exceptions to this rule must be agreed upon in writing by Elise at least two weeks prior to the show, and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. With proper warning to the audience, certain extreme material may be approved.
- Themes involving social, political or religious commentary are generally welcome, but must be approved in writing. We need to be prepared to present the material properly to the audience.
- Acts using inappropriate themes/music without prior notice may be stopped mid-performance, and for egregious violations, performers may be banned from future performance opportunities.
- Feel free to push the envelope in topics and audience comfort, but don't be an edgelord and always check with me first!
If you haven’t already please mark that you are “going” to the event on Facebook. Please invite your fans/friends/family to the event as well, and let them know you'll be performing! We also have flyers and posters, please contact me if you would like to help with distribution. Every little bit helps to fill those seats and get you the audience you deserve!