Perform At JamBallah NW!
Emilie Lauren, JBNW '14 by Phoebus-Foto
Yay! We'd love to have you!
We have a limited number of performance spots in our four shows throughout the weekend, which are open to anyone who wishes to fill out an application form.
Application forms will be emailed out to Newsletter subscribers at 10am in late Feb '17, as a benefit of subscription. They will later be posted publicly here and on the JBNW Facebook page.
Please read the following rules and tips carefully. Failure to adhere to the Rules may result in loss of your spot, due to limited spot availability. But fear not, this is not a contest, and is open to anyone! Experimental, traditional, off-the-wall, stylistically pure, fusion, pro, student, project, troupe... Come dance with us!
All Performer spots: 5 minutes maximum
- Dance spot access is first-come first-served by the timestamp on the application form, with anyone who applies given a spot in a show until spots run out. All levels are welcome to apply from pro to student, all styles welcome!
- Detailed info on stage and venue will be included in your Performer Info email.
- All performances will take place in the lovely black-box stage at the Artist's Repertory Theatre.
- All five shows feature attendees. See Showcases page for specific show info.
RULES AND DUE DATES:
- Music is due NO LATER THAN July 10, 2017, in a single track with your group's name as the start of the song name. AIFF format preferred, then WAV, then MP3. (MP3 files produce lower-quality sound on a pro board) Email your music file or download-link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to submit music by the due date will result in a loss of your performance spot. If two performers choose the same music, the one who got it in first will get first priority. If your file is too big to email, I like DropBox and WeTransfer for sending downloadable links.
- Support the fest! All non-instructor participants must be registered for a minimum of three hours, so either two 2-hour ALL classes, OR one 3-hr INT/ADV class. 'Troupe Total': Groups of three or more must sign up for the equivalent of one 2hr class per person to hit their 'troupe total', but each person is not required to be registered individually. You will have until July 5 to meet this requirement or you forfeit your spot to someone on the wait list. (Musicians who join the show to provide live music for performers do not count towards your 'troupe total' for this purpose, and are exempt from class requirements.) Example: There are 5 people in my troupe. We will need to have at least 10 class hours between all of us to meet the troupe total to retain our spot, but each person don't need to be signed up for something individually.
- Performers are allowed a MAXIMUM of one dance spot with 4 or fewer members onstage (solos/duets/trios/quads). No limit for performing in Large Troupes (5+ members onstage) Examples: I'm performing with two Large Troupes (5+ members onstage)- OK. I'm performing with my trio and also want to do a solo- (SORRY, NOT OK). I'm performing with my duet and also with a Large Troupe (5+ members onstage)- OK.
- Large Troupes (5+ members onstage) may share a MAXIMUM of two members with another accepted troupe. This limits troupes that have different names but similar membership, allowing for more diversity overall in the shows.
- Performers will be required to meet the minimum class purchase for each spot separately, if accepted for multiple spots. Example: I am performing in a Large Troupe (5+ members onstage), and also as a soloist. To retain both spots I will need to sign up for one 2-hr class for the troupe, and also one 3-hr OR two 2-hr classes for the solo.
- Multiple pieces in one spot: Including a solo and then a group piece in one spot is fine- it's considered part of your troupe piece, so it's A-OK if you're a member of an accepted troupe (not a guest who didn't apply). The entire set must fall within your 5m allotment, including transition time.
- Live music? Awesome! Setup/teardown must fall within your 5m allotment. Live musicians must supply their own amps and microphones.
- Specific show assignments are at the discretion of the producer, built to create the most exciting flow/lineup for each show as well as to accommodate everyone's class schedules. No matter what show you end up in, I guarantee you'll be dancing next to some of the best performers from PDX and beyond. Time/day assignments are final.
TIPS FOR PERFORMING AT JAMBALLAH NW:
- Application videos. Don't stress! Videos are not a requirement at all and if you do decide to submit one, they don't have to be professional-grade. A nice solid one of you in your living room is fine as long as it gives me an idea of your strengths. (I actually hesitated to put this tip up because I don't want people to put any show above the others in seeming 'importance,' cuz you'll be dancing beside pros in all of them-- it's not a popularity or ability contest. But if being in one of the evening shows alongside the instructors is something that is a goal for you, it's important to know how those are assigned based on schedules, flow, AND display of a high standard of technique and strong performance style as portrayed in submitted materials. So no video = no evening show consideration.)
- Please, don't be intimidated!! Pro, semi-pro or student, you belong on our stage! One of the main reasons I do this fest is to get as many bellydancers as possible onto a gorgeous black box stage with real lighting. So even if you're still a student, take this opportunity to get some experience (and a great video and photos) in a real live theater!
- Application forms are be emailed out to Newsletter subscribers first as a benefit of subscription. They will later be posted publicly here on the site. If you really want a spot, get on the Newsletter list!
PHOTOGRAPHY/VIDEOGRAPHY: We will have official photographers on site who will provide social-media approved photos to performers free of charge, as well as a professional videographer from whom you may purchase your multi-angle video. (Video order form here) Videos will always be 10$, the rest subsidized by the fest. There is NO outside photography or videography allowed during the JamBallah Showcase shows on Fri/Sat evening, but you may ask someone to photograph you if you are in the Festival Shows on Sat/Sun afternoon.
DISCLAIMER: Applying to perform is not a guarantee that you will be able to do so. We will try very hard to fit everyone in but we can’t promise everyone will get a spot.